Following a $10 million renovation led by New York-based Bill Rooney Studio, New York’s Gregorian hotel has reopened as the Gregory—the second collaboration between Interstate Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Asset Value Enhancement (hotelAVE), and Meadow Partners.
Before being rebranded, the hotel opened in 1903 to accommodate guest overflow from the Waldorf-Astoria, where the Empire State Building now resides. The 132-room boutique hotel’s historic integrity was maintained and reimagined with a modern townhouse image.
Original high ceilings and mosaic tile detailing were infused with modern amenities throughout the property. Reinvented with a contrasting color palette rooted in black, white, and gray, guestrooms feature bay windows, high ceilings, moldings, entry doors, and modern art depicting graphic silhouettes of vintage fashion imagery. Many guest baths also include windows.
The lobby was designed as an intimate gathering place with a residential appeal. Highlighted with a masculine 1950s aesthetic, the space features a chandelier above walnut herringbone floors, diverse clusters of furniture, and a fireplace. Vintage industrial sewing machines and architectural artifacts celebrate the city, while a marble bar opposite the check-in area serves as the public space’s overall focal point.